Paul Mulshine, who loves both a good beer and a good debate, contends that abstaining from alcohol is an unhealthy decision. He cites a study published in the journal Health Psychology which found that physical activity and drinking alcohol—beer in particular—complemented one another.
Stanton Peele, the psychologist who sent Mulshine a copy of the study, cited the example of Cy Young-winning pitcher Bob Welch, who gave up drinking and wrote of his recovery in the book Five O’Clock Comes Early. Welch died of a heart attack at age 57. Peele contends that the only worse decision Welch could have made would be to take up smoking.
Peele also told Mulshine of studies showing that even heavy drinkers have lower heart-attack rates than abstainers. “The reason is not hard to deduce. There are just four sources of calories for the human body—protein, fat, carbohydrates and alcohol. Of the four, only alcohol has a positive role in the prevention of heart attacks”.
- U.S. brewery count at the end of last year: 3,999 (948 more than a year earlier).
- California’s brewery count (number one in the nation) at the end of last year: 508 (145 more than a year earlier).
- Mississippi’s brewery count (someone has to be last) at the end of last year: 6 (3 more than a year earlier).
- Bottles of Deal With the Devil produced by Alaska Brewing Company: 1,000.
- Bottles allocated to Alaska retailers: 336.
- Deal With the Devil’s alcoholic content: 17.6 percent.
- Signature Copper Lager’s alcoholic strength: 5.7 percent ABV.
- Busch Signature Copper Lager’s alcoholic strength: 5.7 percent ABV.
- States where Busch Signature Copper Lager is being test-marketed: 12.
- Germany’s annual per capita beer consumption today: 28 gallons.
- Its annual per capita consumption in 1978: 40 gallons (43 percent higher).
- Hours an American minimum-wage employee has to work to afford a beer: 0.4.
- Hours a Russian minimum-wage employee has to work: 1.6.
- Hours a minimum-wage employee in the Republic of Georgia has to work: 15.1.
- Calories from alcohol in a typical 12-ounce serving of beer: 100 (alcohol has 7 calories per gram).
- Calories from carbohydrates in a typical 12-ounce serving of beer: 50.
Forty-two years ago today, the NASDAQ stock exchange was founded by the National Association of Securities Dealers. Once the home of lowly over-the-counter stocks, it’s now the exchange where companies like Apple, Google, and Microsoft are traded.
And now…The Mash!
We begin in Britain, where health officials would like the beverage industry to disclose the number of calories in their products. They hope that people will drink less to avoid getting fat.
Add the Morrow Royal Pavilion in Henderson, Nevada, to your list of beer landmarks to visit. It’s made from recycled beer and liquor bottles–more than half a million of them.
The latest environmentally-friendly innovation is The Crafty Carton, a paper growler that holds one quart of beer and, according to Foodbeast.com, is suitable for origami.
Here’s a beer pairing we’ve never seen before. Dr. Greg Zeschuk, a video game industry veteran and craft beer aficionado, chooses the right beer style for the genre of game you’re playing.
World of Beer, which serves craft beer in a tavern-like setting, could be coming to your town. The chain has 36 locations in 11 states, and company CEO Paul Avery wants to take it nationwide.
Glyn Roberts, The Rabid Barfly, unleashes a rant about people who decide to go on the wagon during January, which is the quietest time of the year for British pubs.